Saturday, June 29, 2013

29 June 2013

Greetings to all and sundry!

Gentle readers,

I continue comfortably in the land of the blissfully unaware.  Last brain scan was in March, as I've reported, and no compelling symptoms have been observed in the intervening months.  If you poke me hard enough I'll enumerate the things that bug me about me, but the bottom line is that I continue on doing and being as if the critter had not taken the bite out of me that it has.  My near and middle range vision is not very good, especially in that it takes longer to focus (and not as well) as it used to, but distant vision is still corrected pretty well with the coke bottle lenses.  Mainly that means I don't fool with the table saw any more, but otherwise I'm pretty well up for most anything, even if I tire readily.  Well readily enough to call for the afternoon naps anyway.

Two big events this week:  broke 90 on the golf course for the first time in months, playing with my "angels."  Also, Zora drove me up to Bryn Mawr for a long-delayed voice lesson, which wasn't too bloody.  Feeling a little better about both the swing and the voice, although both still need work.  I carry the encouragement that after all is said and done, I am to improving at both, even if not to the level of competence I had once attained.  At least the trend is good.  Last weekend John and Helen brought their families up to join us for Fathers' Day weekend.  We all enjoyed the fantastic fireworks display at Hagley museum, and the adults went up to the US Open at Merion Golf Club.  It was hectic, but wonderful to be able to enjoy all the little ones, and formerly little ones.

I will get another biweekly dose of the cancer-fighter (Avastin) this week.  Again, while it's an iv, it is only 30 minutes and doesn't bring any side effects.  We'll also schedule another MRI a couple of weeks out so by the end of the month I should have a more substantive report on what condition my condition is in.  To be honest, while I'm optimistic, I also am prepared for whatever they might find.

Summer has been busy staying in touch with friends and getting ready for the main event which will be two weeks at Pawleys Island where the kids and grands will join us, along with Zora's sister Anne, and her "kids."  We're also looking forward to a couple of days at Bethany Beach here in Delaware with the Swingles in late July.

Upon our return from Prague a few weeks ago, I was able to finish the photo exhibit I had at our church.  It was very gratifying, both for the kind words so many people passed on about the images of "Winterthur off the Beaten Path", and for the significant number of pieces that people paid for and carried home.  Glad I don't have to make a living at it, but appreciate the reception nonetheless.  I'm really thankful for Zora and Barbara Neville who had a major input on the layout - a key to a successful show.  Now to figure out what to do with the unsold pieces other than stacking them in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment